Sacrifice by Larry Yarrington

11 When Christ came as high priest of the good things that are already here, he went through the greater and more perfect tabernacle that is not man-made, that is to say, not a part of this creation.12 He did not enter by means of the blood of goats and calves; but he entered the Most Holy Place once for all by his own blood, having obtained eternal redemption. 13 The blood of goats and bulls and the ashes of a heifer sprinkled on those who are ceremonially unclean sanctify them so that they are outwardly clean. 14 How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God!
15 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance–now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. Hebrews 9:11-15
It is very difficult for me to understand why the old covenant was not replaced by the new covenant immediately. It is clear, that the old did not work well.
It may not be true of many others, but I am slow at getting a relationship right. I often think the right gifts or the right words will make it happen. Maybe if the words turn into the right action, that will solve relational issues. Whether it is with friends, my children or my spouse, change happens so rapidly that about the time I think I got it nailed, my formulas don't work right any more. There is constant growth in understanding the other, or I get stuck trying to use old things to make the new work. So, I find, for me, it takes constant vigilance and attention; constant listening for the nuances in voice or tone. It takes my full attention to getting to know the new person who is growing and changing, if I am going to make the relationship continue to be life giving and satisfying.
I'm not implying that I know now why God took so long to make the new covenant. I'm not smart enough to know the mind of God. I do know that, in the new covenant, God cam close in Human form. I can now more easily relate to Him, not that I have become smarter but now I can have the mind of Christ. Could mankind not handle that before? I don't know but I know that relationships evolve and grow or they die. Maybe I needed time as did all mankind, to learn about God's ways externally, before I was ready to deal with a spirit relationship. I do know that God is good and would not withhold any good thing from His children without a reason that accounted for their weakness. So, I know His timing was perfect simply because He is good and perfect. Jesus came and inaugurated the new covenant at just the right time; a time that was perfect in the mind of God. It was time for God to be revealed as the perfect Father, whose perfect Son could make a sacrifice we were prepared to understand. When I think of it this way, I am overcome by His patience and His gentle understanding of me. I am amazed at His desire to call us to Him as sons and daughters. I am awed by His gracious love that He would make His heart toward us so unmistakable.
And today, we are reminded of our duty to be a sacrifice so, that we can be in relationship with others and know the costly freedom that it brings. Our military people have given their lives, even if they did not die a physical death, so that the rest of us can enjoy the freedom to give our lives in a similar way so, that freedom might be extended to all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perseverance 2.0 by Susan Yarrington

Life is a Trek with Purpose and Meaning - by Larry Yarrington

Plant your Pinecones by Jamie Palmesano