Life is a Trek with Purpose and Meaning - by Larry Yarrington

1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2 Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. Hebrews 12:1-3
When I hike, I like to only carry in my backpack what I actually need. An EPI pin because I am extremely allergic to wasp stings, a first aid kit, some energy bars, hiking sticks and water. As I am trekking up the mountain, every additional piece of equipment slows me down. When I take Seenee Mae, I take an additional bottle of water and I notice it. I also find that keeping fixed on the goal is helpful knowing that when I achieve it, the views will be spectacular.
Just the same, life is a trek with purpose and meaning. People who have gone before me and my fellow mates have provided witness to to that which I need to carry and that which I leave to the Lord because the battle is His, not mine. I find the load that I tend to pick up, from time to time, is shame and guilt. This brings on a weight of discouragement because I feel I am not doing enough.
Another weight I pick up, that is unnecessary, is trying to find ways to perfect my faith. But I am not the author of my faith and I can not, by virtue of practice, fill the bucket of faith to the top. The author is Jesus and He is continually building my faith from the inside out. He fills my cup to overflowing.
When I become confused as to the direction of the path, I don't persevere in the wrong direction. Part of perseverance is waiting on the Lord to show me the next step in the journey. Yet it is easy to think I ought to continue to be busy without asking the question, "Am I on mission"? Is the task I am undertaking going to get me closer to telling my story of what Jesus did for me? This is always the best way to introduce people to Jesus. It is Him I want others to see, not how great I am. And, while I am not encouraging anyone to be obnoxious with their faith, I am convinced I can be bold about my faith while also being a compassionate, good listener to you. Because it is not a part of my race to convince you of the gospel. It is only the persuasion of the Holy Spirit that can do that. I need to unload my backpack of that thought. It is a burden to be thrown off and a prideful sin that would entangle me in a task and responsibility that is not mine.



By Larry Yarrington

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perseverance 2.0 by Susan Yarrington

Plant your Pinecones by Jamie Palmesano