"Do not harden your hearts"

"See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God.  But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness.  We have come to share in Christ if we hold firmly till the end the confidence we had at first.  As has just been said:
“Today, if you hear his voice,
do not harden your hearts
as you did in the rebellion.” Hebrews 3:12-15

It is good to have someone close; someone who knows your heart beat, a tone of voice or a look indicating a mood. I am not lost in the Big Ten of sins in any obvious ways. Though in more subtle ways, I violate them daily. But this is the point. The real sin is always what we do in relationship to God. It starts with little doubts and soon it is an unbelieving heart turning away from the living God.

Sometimes I see it in a mood swing caused by something disagreeable in my environment. Or it could be that I am fearful and anxious about something of which I have no control. At other times, I am oblivious, until a trusted friend. says something like, "You seem a little off today" This is often my wife because she knows me better than anyone. Another time, a friend mentioned that I seem to be using the terminology of, "I hate this" or "I don't like that". It would have been more kind and truthful to simply say, "That isn't in my taste range" or "I tend to enjoy a different style". One says we are at odds with one another, while the other says, we can be friends; we simply enjoy different things.


I gain great encouragement in a friend like that, after I have my moments of denial and self defense. So this passage is a great reminder that if I hear His voice, hardening my heart is not the answer to joy and peace. Whether His voice comes through a trusted friend, a little nudge in my spirit, a passage of scripture or a quote from a book, I need to listen carefully to see what my response might be that best fits what Jesus would do. In our church we call that, "All Eyes On Jesus". Most churches have a similar challenge, that we would be wise to not see, as just another slogan. We are, after all, disciples of Jesus and we get to share in being sons or daughters of our loving and faithful Father. As such, we all share in Christ, though we may have trifling differences of just how that comes about.

By Larry Yarrington

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perseverance 2.0 by Susan Yarrington

Life is a Trek with Purpose and Meaning - by Larry Yarrington

Plant your Pinecones by Jamie Palmesano