Turn your eyes upon Jesus - by Larry Yarrington

7 "Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. He who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous. 8 He who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work. 9 No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God. 10 This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not a child of God; nor is anyone who does not love his brother". 1 John 3:7-10
According to John, the primary sin is in seeking a solution to sin that is different than what God provided. Jesus came to save us from our sinful (prideful) nature, which is the work of a fallen angel. The devil, we are told elsewhere, goes about trying to destroy lives. If he can make a wreck of me, it is likely that I will influence others along the same path. So my sin is simply trying to find an alternate solution to my problems other than resting in the provision of our loving Father.
These solutions are many but have a common theme. We don't even have to reach past Christianity to find it. I grew up in a religious system that was based, not on believing something but,rather, on prohibitions. Some were a good moral code to create a just and peaceful society, and some were just silly. So, a religious system does have value, but it is not a path to an intimate relationship with Our Father. To become His beloved child requires us to believe in the Jesus that He sent to show us, in the flesh, what God was like. And He came to show us that in order to gain life we have to give up notions of what the world says is living. When I watch a movie and people are showing a kindness to one another, tears flow down my cheeks; tears of joy and longing to make my relationships conform to this likeness.
Yet I know me. I can be nice if there is something I get in return. That is easy. But, when I care for someone who can not return the favor, I am being like Jesus. I have found that without the power of the Spirit of Christ, I can only pretend to do right. It is Him within me that turns me to the light of righteousness and my motives become pure. And, my sin becomes less and less because I am not depending on me, but believing in the Savior God sent. I must keep my eyes on Jesus, who will perfect my faith. I love this old hymn that says it all:

Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in His wonderful face
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace

Author: Larry Yarrington

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perseverance 2.0 by Susan Yarrington

Plant your Pinecones by Jamie Palmesano

Life is a Trek with Purpose and Meaning - by Larry Yarrington